Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Radio Project Begins

I was inspired by the NPR podcast about the blind date and the answering machine to write my own script and record it. I'm having some trouble deciding what I would like it to be about. I always start with what it is I'm thinking about right now. So that brought me to the idea of my relationship with the future and my future self. I'm also thinking about idealism, which is easily a part of the future theme. So it will circle somehow around this. I'm doing this because I'm interested in sound and music as well as writing, and I've never gotten to consider these things very much with writing. I'm unsure whether to start with the story or with the sound. I've got a bit of a case of the "I can't do any better than the first thing I heard and loved" syndrome, but I'm pushing through it! Today in class I was reading Dylan Thomas. Under Milk Wood is a play written for voices, and although there was no conventional storyline, I was completely drawn in because the language and imagery were so beautiful. Because it's a play of sounds, it's important that the imagery is very rich. The sounds of the words are also important because they have an effect on the mood and the style. So these are some things I'll have to consider when I write it. Unlike the Facebook project last year, I'm anxious to get out of the research stage and get started, so I'd say that's a good sign that I'm feeling enthusiastic about this one.

1 comment:

  1. "So that brought me to the idea of my relationship with the future and my future self."

    Ah! I very clearly see this - this is a major theme/issue for you - the basis of our whole conversation yesterday. Many interesting things can come out of this. I also like the emphasis on sounds and imagery and the importance of that to the quality and qualities of the writing, and how taking writing into an aural realm requires a reorientation of focus.

    ReplyDelete