Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How Much Me

I started yet another script today, and this is the one I'll be presenting on Friday. This one is a little more grounded, and I feel comfortable going on with it. What I realized today was that my writing has a style. And when I noticed it, I realized that that is what I wanted, a style. Patterns in my writing are proof that I exist! If I have my own style, I can be okay with making things that are not replicas of my influences. This is often the temptation when you like someone else's art very much. Just try to do exactly what that artist did, and then you'll be good. But if I have my own style, I don't have to worry, because I'll show up in it no matter what. I am not free of worry about this script though. I might know my issues a little too well, and they may get in there a little too literally. In fact, this script is a literal-metaphorical depiction of my life at this moment. What a narcissist I am! I need to pay attention to story before meaning. I think this is going to be the main idea behind my editing, but I'll see what my community has to say. I also need to work on my characters. It's easy to write myself as a character, it's not so easy to write other people in. I know what works for me- I need to have a clear vision of my people. I don't need to know that a character eats oatmeal for breakfast and played tennis as a kid, I just need to get some image of her in my head. Or else she's going to come out as me, the default image. Hope to get something good out of this!

1 comment:

  1. "Patterns in my writing are proof that I exist! If I have my own style, I can be okay with making things that are not replicas of my influences."

    This is a brilliant statement. I'm grappling with this exact thing in my painting right now, and you've illuminated it wholly and clearly in two sentences.

    "What a narcissist I am!"

    Try being an artist with any other type of personality!

    ReplyDelete