Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Writing Intensive 1

The process of cutting down the scripts made a lot of sense. It was difficult to extend it to six pages in the first place, and so I think I started to get repetitive with the issues I was talking about. This did actually happen in the fight I wrote about as fights do tend to go around in circles. In the second script, I had to lose this round effect in order to get all the issues in, but I think if I were to try to recreate this scene in a play, I might try to get the endlessness aspect to come out a little bit more. When writing the second script, I looked at the first one and outlined what the main ideas were.

They were:
-lack of trust
-comparison between me and my brother
-strongmindedness
-seeing only the bad and not the good
-freedom

So in the second script, I tried to include each of these things. In the last, one page script, I took the one idea that I felt showed the motivation behind the whole fight. The fight was about my desire to have more freedom conflicting with my mother's desire to keep me under her control. The other things all fell under this category anyway. Lack of trust was her way of justifying taking away my freedom. The comparison between me and my brother was my way of expressing angst about my individuality. I took her criticism of me very personally. And my strongmindedness was what she feared because it represented my maturity and even my confidence in forces that she did not believe in.
It would be interesting to see the way my mother would have diluded my original script because my interpretation is definitely in my favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment